I do not appear to be an emotional person. In fact, I'm often not, but sometimes it is appropriate for me to exhibit certain feelings. The past 7.5 years have been some of the most amazing and most difficult years of my life. Most notably, I became a parent. I returned to my once homeland. I lost my beloved mother. I also became, for the first time in my professional life, an honorary member of a university community. My sincere thanks, love and appreciation to my first "class"--the fabulous Class of 2008 (you know who you are). I have not always respected or spoken highly about what happens behind the Ivy gates-the traditions, the pretentiousness, the classical approach to tackling modern issues, the hierarchy/bureaucracy, and the gym :-). All whining aside, there are many things I will miss greatly as I exit the Ivy gates. My parting is such sweet sorrow.
While the last 7.5 years have been full of extreme highs and lows, one thing has remained refreshingly constant...the strong bonds I've formed with many of the amazing students I've worked with. Some have been entitled pains in the ass, while others have been uninterested or distant. Alas, many have been engaging, warm, and a pleasure to be around. They've challenged and greatly enhanced my understanding of the world, and they've even strengthened my understanding of myself as a professional, a person, a parent, and a friend. They are likely unaware of the impact they've had on my life, as they've probably been too consumed with other, more important things. Nonetheless, from the many lunchtime conversations, the long orientation hours, the late night meetings/programs, the Baldwin dinner club, and the "drop-in" visits, it has been quite the journey for which I am very grateful.
Over the course of the last few weeks, I've been reflecting upon my current experiences. I sometimes worry about being forgotten. I worry that the fruits of my labor will be spoiled. I worry about taking the next steps. I worry about failure. This is not the burden of the alumni, and students I've greatly come to respect, adore, and in some ways, love. They've made my "job" worthwhile. All work and no play makes me a dull girl, and I've been very fortunate to maintain a happy marriage of the two.
I feel renewed. Refreshed. Ready to take the next step. Super excited.
Thank you LITTLE TIGERS of my PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE. Thank you for being a crucial part of my journey. You will certainly not be forgotten.
1 comment:
Well Said! You're so lucky (and so are your students) to have your "job" have such a powerful impact on your life!
Post a Comment