Well, I suppose it is not necessarily American-like to find rest stops along the toll roads in Korea, but it is quite a sight, nonetheless. It's grand, actually (the picture is only a partial view). In the U.S., you expect to pull into some relatively small dump, with dirty bathrooms, a few vending machines, an "information" center, and maybe (if you are in the right place), there will be some artery-clogging fast food chains thrown in. Not in Korea. The rest stops (that I've seen) are like mini carneysville meets American Band Stand, lol. That is, the rest stops are huge, with stadium-size bathrooms, live entertainment, small open air markets, a convenience store and a number of restaurants. Pretty impressive, I must say and CLEAN. I am one of those cloned germ-a-phobes who freaks out about public restrooms, etc. Again, not in Korea. In fact, my gum could fall out of my mouth, onto the floor and I could be tempted to pick it up. That is a gross exaggeration, of course but you get the point. Which, brings me to my next point...
To sit or to squat...that is the question. While most public toilets in Korea are western style (meaning you have a seat to sit on), I have frequented a number of places where the only option is to squat. I suppose it is more sanitary, as you avoid resting your bum on a germ-infested seat, but it still freaks me out just a bit. I guess it is a good thing that I have strong quads to keep me from falling in! If you ever decide to visit Korea, remember to get in shape and carry some spare toilet paper (yeah, that happens, too)!
Ok, I have lots more to write but it is late and I have to get some sleep. I will do my best to catch up tomorrow, after getting a little R & R. Thanks for hanging in there with me. Love you and miss you! <3
No comments:
Post a Comment